13 Jan 2010

I Will, We Will, Who Will?


I am not sure if this counts as viral marketing... But I spotted this unusual "thing" on Ang Mo Kio Hub yesterday. At first I thought it would only move and talk if I were to approach it, but it seems it is just a pre-programmed video being screened on a white board. Many people actually stop to take a glance on what actually this thing is.

I managed to catch a bit of what was said from this "thing". Apparently it is setup to promote the website www.iwill.sg. It turns out to be a totally harmless government propaganda to foster our society closer. Not that it is a bad thing mind you.



And how does Singapore government make us feel more connected? By the annual Total Defence of course. And so this year's theme is fittingly "I Will", which focuses on personal self reflection on how we as individual can make Singapore a better place to live in.

And you know what is more scary than to find out the intention of this propaganda in AMK Hub? The I Will website shows that Nanyang Polytechnic is the only polytechnic involve in this project! Oh the horror! I hope none of my assignments will suddenly be connected to Total Defence!

Anyway, as you can see, Singapore government is actively embracing social media to reach out to her people. Within the website, users can sign up and upload their own "pledge" and let other people join the pledge. The webmaster, which in this case the government, is using "people power" to reach their objective to engaging Singaporeans to be part of Total Defence.

No comments: