1 Dec 2009

NYP Students Interview: Digital Media Design (IxD)


Today I will be interviewing one of my classmates who came from a humble background as an ex-Institute of Technical Education (ITE) student. She has a cheerful and positive outlook, and is able to befriend people easily. The mere fact that she is able to be admitted into a polytechnic only made her even more special.



She used to be from ITE College West (Ang Mo Kio Campus) studying the Nitec in Digital Media Design (Interactive Media). I guess that is why she picked this course since it is related to what she learned previously. And as usual, the interview is done over instant messaging.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
A short introduction about yourself...
I am Siti Hosshima and I am currently taking a diploma in digital media design specializing in interaction design year 1 (Digital Media Design (Interaction Design)).

Why did you choose Digital Media Design (Interaction Design)?
I choose this course because I would like to learn and see more interactive things, created by designers like us, interacting through devices and human.

Are there any obstacles you face while trying to secure a place in this course?
Yeah, in order to get into this course, I went through direct admission exercise (DAE). It started out with a portfolio reviewing, followed by an interview and then a 2nd interview and phase test.

It was hard for us ITE students to get into this course and it was pretty challenging as we had to prepare a few assignments before going for the 3rd interview. The interviewers are our course coordinator, Mr Andrew, the deputy director, Mr Yang Tien and one of the animation lecturers.

Wow, that's very interesting, so what are the differences between studying in ITE and in Polytechnic?
Methods of teaching between ITE and polytechnic… In poly its not spoon-feed, we have to explore on our own. While in ITE it was more of flexible timing, but over here it is kind of strict, as this is to help us be a more disciplined person I would say.

Also, in ITE it is not much stress, as it is more of doing and enjoying the things we do, especially when it comes to deadline. Die die you must submit it somehow, and getting used to how the school system works in poly.

Never knew that polytechnic was actually considered strict! So how is life as a student in a polytechnic different from in ITE?
Overall I’m trying to cope with my schoolwork, and working part time, while thanking my friends who’s been supporting me all this while! Currently I have no CCA, and I don’t think I’ll have a time for that, as it seems everything is fully packed.

Okay... Do you feel that what you learned in ITE helps you in your polytechnic education? If so, how?
Yes, thanks to ITE - the lecturers who had groomed me, reminding me not to forget my roots, giving me moral supports, helping me, and sacrificing (their time). Also, I did learn some skills that can be applied to my daily life.

That's sounds wonderful. So far, do you have any favorite module(s)? Why?
*laugh* My favorite modules are DMS (Digital Media Studies) and AVP (Audio Video Production). Because DMS is something interesting, I’ve learnt something new and interesting each week, and for AVP – What I learned (in this module) I find that video post- and pre-production was fun.

So what are your plans for the future after graduating from NYP?
*laugh* To be a designer or someone who can impart her skills?

And finally... Any tips for students who wish to enter this course?
To be mentally, spritually, physically prepared and all the best.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am quite honored that my classmate is able to share with us her experience from ITE to polytechnic, as I personally find this fest much harder to achieve then going to polytechnic via 'O' levels. I think I also learned quite a bit about ITE and polytechnic education just by chatting with her. Hopefully ITE students will find motivation in being willing to work hard so they can continue their education in the polytechnic.

NYP Dip. IxD page - http://www.nyp.edu.sg/sidm/dip_ixd.html
SIDM Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=ts&gid=104011139584
SIDM FAQs page - http://sidmfaq.blogspot.com/
NYP Open House 2010 - http://www.nyp.edu.sg/OH2010/highlights.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NYP Students Interview series:
Salina (IT) | Boon Heng (DET) | Hosshima (IxD)

No comments: