28 Nov 2009

NYP Students Interview: Information Technology


Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) Open House 2010 is just slightly more than a month away! I too, wish to contribute in helping to promote NYP and I am doing so in my blog by interviewing my friends from the School of Information Technology (SIT) and School of Interactive & Digital Media (SIDM).



Today I will be interviewing a friend of mine from SIT. She was unable to be given her choice course after the 'O' levels, and ended up in Information Technology. But even so, she preserved. This interview is done over instant messaging.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A short self-introduction about yourself...
Hello, my name is Nur Salina. I am from School of Information Technology taking the diploma in Information Technology. I am currently in my first year, and my CCA is Community Service Club.

Why did you choose Information Technology?
The truth that is this course is my 4th choice. Firstly when I get to know I get into this course I felt that I am dead meat. But as the first semester passed, I realized that I might start to like this course.

That is interesting… So how is life in your course?

Life in my course? Day by day it has been fun. I am not sure what the intake size for my course (there are around 8 to 10 classes) and I am sure you all think that IT classmates are all geeks BUT my classmates are fun! I can say we have around 3 pros in our class but they are not geeks. *laugh* They are helpful towards “noob” like me. *laugh*

Having lecture in a large group can be tiring because we have to deal with other people form other classes so it is difficult for lecturers to control them. But I can learn to be tolerance with their non-stop talking all the time. My lecturers are mostly men and they are in their middle age. I think most of them are from Singapore I guess. *laugh*

Is there anything interesting you learned in this course?
Hmm... I shall say that what interest me the most is how we can make a web page from scratch. This semester I learned that there are programs that help us with the web page design such as Visual Studio. Just drag and drop.

For this semester so far I can say my favorite module is ‘Data, Communication and Networking’ which teaches us how an email get to us and how networking works. It is theory based so it is a bit hard lah. *laugh*

Sounds tough! So how are the schoolwork and examination in your course?
I won’t lie that school work can be tiring. Project after project. It is pressurizing at times but with good teammates you can overcome it, believe me. Examinations are tough... if you never study hard lah. Our grades are standard unless you are so good. *laugh*

How I manage with all that is by having good classmate and we have to push ourselves. People can push you but you also must push yourself to work. Schoolwork may have deadline that is in only a few weeks but never procrastinate, as that is a bad for any schoolwork or project.

As a whole, how does it feels being a member of School of IT?

What I feel as a member of SIT... ermm... I shall say that I felt welcomed. I have great friends here and some nice seniors who are our Orientation Group Leader (OGL). My most memorable moment was the orientation day. That was my first time I met all my classmates.

First impression may change when term start. *laugh* The orientation was filled with fun. And things that are interesting? Not yet for me so far. *laugh*

If you can choose another polytechnic course, what will it be? Why?

*laugh* Nice one. If I have that chance, I will choose Ngee Ann Polytechnic diploma in Nursing. Why? This is because I want to help people and be useful to the society. I've been hoping to get into Nursing but sad to say that I fail Combined Science during ‘O’ levels. *laugh* The reason I pick Ngee Ann Polytechnic is because it is quite near my house.

Okay… Are there any tips for potential students who wish to be in your course?
Be ready to work hard and never give up once you fail. Keep on trying and trying.

Lastly... Do you have any final comments?
Be ready to work in groups and facing personality clash between your new classmates. Remember that first impression may fail you as school goes by...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that Salina is quite a strong individual as even though she does not really enjoy her course initially, she continued to study instead of choosing to drop out. She is also active in her CCA too.

Anyway, about the diploma in Information Technology, I feel that it is quite an interesting course, as you get to specialize in one of the five areas in year 3 which include IT in Finance & Investment, IT in Life Sciences, Information Security, Internet & Mobile Computing and even Digital Entertainment! 

Further reading & other links:
NYP Dip. IT page - http://www.nyp.edu.sg/SIT/it_main.html
SIT Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#/nypsit
Salina's Blog - http://crazyalwaes.blogspot.com/
NYP Open House 2010 - http://www.nyp.edu.sg/OH2010/highlights.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NYP Students Interview series:
Salina (IT) | Boon Heng (DET) | Hosshima (IxD)

No comments: