20 Oct 2009

Visual Music Exercise (1)



I am going to share with you guys an interesting exercise I learned from one of my friends, who is currently working as a secondary school art teacher. This exercise is called visual music, and it can be done either in a group or alone.

Basically you listen to a piece of music (any music will do) and you sketch/draw/paint anything out base on what you feel about the song. Any medium is acceptable, although after awhile, you might prefer a certain medium (such as ballpoint pen for me). Do note that there is no right or wrong answers in this exercise and everyone's work will be different. The main focus in this exercise is to express yourself base on how you interpret a piece of music.

For me, I usually do this in my sketchbook during my 20 minutes MRT trip from City Hall to Yio Chu Kang MRT. So if you spot a mad designer who is super focus on his MP3 and sketchbook, that will be me. But for today, I created this piece of artwork during my free time in school.

The music I listened to is 'Where Are You Now' by Honor Society.

No comments: