12 Oct 2009

Unique Coffee Shop Design


Because dinning outside is so deeply rooted as a part in most of us, we often overlook or take for granted the hard work a interior designer puts in. But as a designer, I must always "open my eyes" and be on a lookout for unique designs and elements. By doing so, I can learn somethings about the coffee shop design myself.



This report features NTUC Foodfare located Block 204 Bedok North Street 1. This coffee shop uses color as one of the ways to distinguish itself from others. I find the design very intriguing as the pillars are covered with images of people eating, except only the food is in color.



But before you worry that having the whole place in gray is boring, the many food plates that line below the stores' name are in full color. Because the majority of the coffee shop is gray, the lights and bright colors really bring out the rich and delicious feeling of the food.


Another thing I notice is that beside the images of food is in color, every other "color" (well, technically black and white are shades and not colors) are all neutral colors. Even the fans are black in color!

Specially designed eating place are usually reserved for shopping mall food courts so I hope there will be more specially designed coffee shops in Singapore soon. It will bring a greater design and aesthetic to the mass audiences.

No comments: