29 Oct 2009

The Limitation of Technology



We were having our usual User-Centered Design class today, and the front iMac our lecturer was using crashed, more than once. One was when she tried to scroll down Adobe Reader and another is during the PowerPoint presentation. She even have to reboot the iMac because the PPT slide froze and whole allow anything else to be done.

And now, I couldn't connect to via my Internet Service Provider (ISP), and I suspect that my elder brother forgot to pays the bill again. To make matter worst, he is now on a overseas business trip. Now I have to come to my aunt's place to use the internet. What luck.

In our modern world, we have grown to be very dependent on technology, especially information technology. Learning and studying, be it in kindergarten, secondary school or in polytechnic, you will be using IT in a way or another. In NYP SIDM, having a thumb drive or having access to internet is a necessity. Imagine having to watch a movie or play Warcarft or blogging as homework, you don't have to if you are study here.

This got me thinking, how great technology is, yet how limiting they are. As an Interactive Media Designer-in-training, I will be designing for people by utilizing technology to improve their life. I guess it helps to know the strength and weakness of what I will be using.

Given that, I won't be able to update my blog again until at least next Monday (2 November). If I do, then it is either I am blogging from my aunt's place, or mum paid the bill.

No comments: