14 Sept 2009

Brushing Up Drawing Skill

Maybe it is just me, but having my first polytechnic semester holiday day break does not feel much like a holiday to me. Maybe because secondary school and polytechnic are just too different. Still, I am making use of this time to recharge and renew and one of things I am doing is brushing up on my fundamental drawing skills. What's a designer who can't draw eh?

I dug up my dusty secondary one and two art textbooks (above) and as I read through, I realize many of the things taught in the first semester are also in these textbooks. So it is down to whether you bother reading your textbooks or not.

I also borrowed two books about drawing from the public library - 'The Little Book of Drawing: A Friendly Approach by  Dr. Mary McNaughton' and 'Teach Yourself: Drawing by Robin Capon'. The first one is more straight-forward while the latter contains more words to read. However, both books requires you to practice drawing. I mean, you can't expect to become good at something just by reading, right?

If there is one thing I learned in 'Drawing & Illustration'  module is that we have to practice drawing everyday. So I will continue to practice and hopefully one day I can be a children book illustrator!

No comments: