19 Sept 2009

Poor Shopping Cart (Design)?


It was 3.30 am in the morning, I just got back home from a very expensive karaoke session (over $240++!) with my family and I saw this lonely shopping cart at the void deck. I thought to myself, it must be some inconsiderate Singaporean again. 

Just because they "paid" $1 to loan the shopping cart, they can just use it without thinking of the consequences. Do they even know how expensive one shopping cart is? I think having things like this still happening in such a civilized society reflects poorly on our education system.


Maybe it is just me, but I feel that we are conditioned from young to think that knowledge is more important and thus, we lack the ability to care for others in the future. If this still go on, humans will be no different compared to robots. A world that lacks emotions... I don't even want to think about it.

On another hand, perhaps it is due to the poor design of the shopping cart that led to such misuse? Maybe installing a sensor on it that the alarm attached will go off when the shopping cart is too far from the supermarket might help. But then again, you will have to think of the cost too.


Hopefully someone studying industrial design will one day come up with a fantastic design and save the day.

No comments: